Electric powered transportation is getting a boost and more people than ever are looking for ways to convert their favorite rides into more convenient and eco-friendly solutions. Skateboards are no exception to the rule, and there are plenty of cool new models that are making their way onto the market. Best of all, many of these models make a fun sport even better with interesting designs that test your ability to balance.
Why Get an Electric Skateboard?
So you may be wondering, why switch to an electric board? Here are five great reasons to get an electric skateboard.
1. No Pushing!
The most obvious of all the reasons, is that you won’t have to push to get power while riding. As you get tired, pushing can become tedious, especially if there is a lot of uphill riding. But, with an electric skateboard, you can have the convenience of assisted power while riding.
2. Cool Technology
The best part about using emerging technology is that more often than not, many of the features are pushing the limits on what’s possible. So, if you’re using something like an electric board, chances are you have some of the latest tech on the market.
3. Travel Farther
If you use your skateboard for commuting or transportation, your greatest limit, is your cardio. With an electric skateboard, you can actually travel further and more conveniently, which makes them a great choice for commuters.
4. Speed Control
One of the limiting factors with a skateboard is the speed. While you can go flying downhill, you may find that getting speed on a flat surface can take some work. With an electric skateboard, you can add speed whenever you want!
This one is definitely for the commuter out there looking for an alternative to their ride. An electric skateboard may require an initial investment, but once purchased, you’re going to enjoy serious savings over gas-powered alternatives like scooters.
Regardless of your reasoning, getting an electric skateboard is a great way to get around and get in touch with emerging technologies.
What Types of Electric Skateboards Are There?
There are a few different models of electric skateboards on the market today. Some of our favorites include:
- One Wheel Electric Skateboard: Acting as a self-balancing electric skateboard, these models work on only one large center wheel. While they may seem daunting to ride, they are actually extremely easy because they self-balance. This makes them a great choice for commuters, as you only need to maneuver without any kicking at all. Also great for the self-balancing electric skateboard is the fact that some models can ride on just about any surface.
- Remote Controlled Board: This model is similar to a traditional board, and comes with a remote control that allows you to adjust the speed as you ride. There are various models out now, including the Maverix electric skateboard, which offers off-road capability. These are a great choice for riders that are looking for a compact option that mimics traditional skateboards.
- Longboards: Probably the electric skateboard of choice for commuters and those in the city, longboards offer plenty of speed and versatility. These boards offer long charges, and can even integrate using Bluetooth. Because of their long design and weight, they are also very stable and can help improve balance.
There are plenty of options out there; so testing out an electric skateboard before buying one is always highly recommended. Also keep in mind that purchasing a reputable brand can go a long way in the event that repairs or replacement parts are needed.
5 Tips for Choosing the Best Electric Skateboard
Choosing an electric skateboard does not have to be a challenge. Here are five tips to make your decision easier.
- Watch Videos: There are a ton of electric skateboard video channels on YouTube that can be a great information tool before purchase. In some instances, they can be reviews, or tutorials on how to ride.
- Consider Your Budget: Like any big purchase, knowing your budget is important to choosing a model. Because this technology is relatively new, you may see that initial investments are high. That’s why getting it right the first time is critical.
- Why do you Need It? – Are you planning on commuting? Looking for something to take off-road? Consider what you plan on using your electric skateboard before buying one.
- Range and Charge – Is you’re switching to an electric model, then it’s important to know how long it takes to charge completely, and how long that charge will last. With models like the one wheel electric skateboard, the last thing you want to do is end up without a charge, far from home.
- Ride it Before You Buy It – Many shops offer the opportunity to test ride an electric skateboard before purchasing it. If you have the chance, do it! By getting a feel for the model, you can really make an informed decision.
In the end, electric skateboards are an innovative and fun new way to get around. Not only do they add convenience to your skateboard, but also they can help you create a green and eco-friendly commute in your city.